Sunday, June 24, 2012

2012 Topps Series 2 Case Break

***Please Note... The original title was "My first time..." and was obviously my lame ass way of being clever and funny about partaking in my first team case break.  For some reason when I put the products and whats happening in the title I feel like I get more traffic so I changed it to try and bring in more readers or atleast entertain the 26 ones that I have now... with that in mind... READ ON!!!***


I'm sure many of you have already taken part in one of these, but this was my first time.  I was a little nervous at first to be sharing it with so many people but was more excited about the prospect of what could happen... would I be extremely satisfied? Blown away?? or just mildly pleased???

I am of course referring to Team Box/Case Breaks.

The concept is simple enough.  Someone buys a box or case of cards and then sells each team individually out of the box/case and the buyer of said team receives all cards from the break for that team.  The point of doing this is to try and get a big pull from someone on the team you bought for a very modest price. 

You may recently remember a post in which I criticized my beloved Orioles for their poor play and told my fellow fans to prepare for the worst.  However it's late June and the Orioles are still 9 games over .500 and are only 2.5 games out of first place in the AL East behind those goldamn Yankees.  For that I must apologize to my team and fellow fans for not believing.  Granted, I wasn't the only one... everyone felt the same way I'm sure.  But they proved to us that they have fight and want to win.  I can now say with out a doubt that my loyalty will not falter again... but don't you dare break my heart like you did in 2005.  We were 42-30 then and spent 2 months in first place.  We finished 4th that year and you cut me deep in the process.

This time feels different... and as a sign of my renewed faith in the Orange and Black I decided to buy the Orioles in my first ever Team Case Break.  I decided to go with bigc202014 from Ebay for my first ever experience.  He was selling teams for a 2012 Topps Series 2 12 Box Case Break.  After the auctions ended you would go to his YouTube Channel at bigc2020141to watch the Case Break and see what you pulled.

I picked up the Orioles for $19.99 + $5.99 S/H. 

I'll start by saying that I did NOT pull any game used or autograph cards, but did enjoy the cards I got and am happy to share them with the community.  I'll start off with the Inserts and work my way down.


These 3 inserts are my Favorite! 1987 Topps Mini Insert Set, Brooks, Frank, and Palmer... HOF Orioles!


Next are several different Insert sets.  Top Left Corner are Adam Jones and Jim Palmer Golden Moments cards and the Cal Ripken Jr Golden Moments Card on the Right 3 down.  2 Gold Standard cards for Cal and Frank Robinson on the bottom left, as well as a Career Day Frank Robinson bottom right corner.  Lastly we have a Cal Ripken Jr. Cut Above Insert top right and below a Jim Palmer Mound Dominance.


I got 4 gold parallel cards total including Markakis, Jim Johnson, Hardy, and Hunter.  I got one Black Parallel of Robert Andino number 50/61.

Lastly here are all the Oriole Base Cards I received.


Hunter, Britton, Adams, Johnson, Roberts, Hardy, Chavez, Markakis, and Andino


Betemit base, Guerrero Check List, and Wei-Yin Chen rookie card!

Now these are all the cards I got from the break and since it was a 12 box case break I got at least 3 each of the insert cards and likely 10 or more of each base card.  It was quite a haul of new Oriole cards and naturally I have no desire to keep a large amount of duplicates.  So as a way to really show my Oriole pride I decided to set up this display at work to help spread the Oriole Magic.


This has been the greatest part of the case break!  I knew I'd get some kids that would love some free baseball cards, but its the BIG kids that really got me smiling.  Men of all ages would pick these cards up and just shuffle through them and everyone of them would pick 3 cards and keep them for themselves.  The best were the guys who had their wives with them who didn't understand why they wanted 3 baseball cards and their feeble attempts to try and explain and defend why the cards are great and should be aloud to take them.  Needless to say, my cards are already almost gone and I now think I have a new solution for all of my old duplicate base cards!

Stay tuned for my 2012 Topps Tier 1 Box Break with some interesting MOJO!

Until then...








No comments:

Post a Comment