Sunday, April 22, 2012

Vacation Schwag!

So, I've been married for over 2 1/2 years and took my first vacation with my wife since our honeymoon.  We went down to Deep Creek, MD and stayed at my Aunt and Uncles cabin and had an excellent time. 

The main goal was to just relax, because frankly I was going to lose my shit at work if I didn't take some real time off.  Don't get me wrong, I've had days off from work, but when you spend your day off cutting grass or doing some other household project you aren't taking time off at all really.  So with that in mind we went to the middle of no where and unplugged the phones and just spent time together doing nothing.

And I mean nothing... I read a whole book.  I don't think I've ever read a whole book in just three days but I did.  It was a good read and if you're looking for something to pick up go check out The Caddie Who Knew Ben Hogan.  I'm not in to golf at all, but this was an excellent read and was the only thing they had on the shelf that caught my attention.

Anywho, while we were down there we went in to downtown Oakland and went to some antique shops.  I wasn't looking for anything in particular, but came across some items I couldn't pass up.  I didn't actually buy anything "Antique", but I did get one oldish item and a couple other items that weren't old at all, but looked the part.  Check out my vacation schwag!

Up first is a tin sign of a Topps Advertisement... looks old but is from 2006.  Check it...


next up is a repro of a Lou Gehrig Glove Ad by Ken-Wel... not sure when it was made but I'm guessing mid 90's.


and here is the oldish item I got... a 1969 Anniversary Bottle of Jim Beam commemorating the 100th Anniversary of Baseball... America's Past Time.  Make no mistake about it... Baseball is America's Past Time.  She just needs a revival of sorts is all.  Check it out.


Above is the front of the bottle complete with stopper.  Looks really cool and is something I couldn't pass up on.  Who knows... in 50+ years this could be the most valuable thing in my collection.  Here is a shot of the back of the bottle.


As soon as I got home I took my new treasures down to the Cave and put them up.  As you all may know... I plan to do a post when the Cave is complete, and it's almost there.  Here is a rough shot of the "Accent" wall where I placed the card catalog and hung up the new items I've picked up in the last couple of weeks.


Non of the placement is permanent and I still need to get the Wagner art matted properly.  Let me know what you think...

Till next time...



2 comments:

  1. I dig the rugby ball. And I'm still floored that you have that card catalogue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finds... especially the Topps sign! Can't wait to see the cave.

    ReplyDelete