Tuesday, March 6, 2012

As Promised...

So I got out of work early today and decided I'd just go ahead and post this.  I bought this Time Magazine online a few years ago because it had a picture of Hank Bauer on the Cover and at the time I was really in to the Orioles history (imagine that... an Oriole fan hanging on to the past).


I thought it was a great looking cover and decided I'd like to frame it for the Cave which is where it hangs now.  However, before doing so I decided to get in the time machine and read the articles to get an idea of what was going on at the time. 

When I got to the Hank Bauer article I about fell out of my chair laughing.  Lets just say I don't think managers and media have the same relationships now then they did back then.

Here is the article in an easy to read and understand format, but I also posted pictures of the article as well...

Go Ahead and read for yourself!


It was a ritual to which he had become accustomed and which he accepted, unwillingly but gracefully.  Grouped around the desk in the Baltimore clubhouse were half a dozen reporters for the usual post-mortem.

They watched Hank Bauer reduce an empty beer can to tin foil with one quick crunch of his hammy fist.

"They gotta catch us", Bauer announced. "And if we keep winning, they can't, can they?"

Silence

"But Hank," somebody wanted to know, "is the long summer starting to get to your players?"

Bauer's mashed-potato face flushed crimson. Muscles rippled malevolently in his chest.  Beer from a fresh, full can splattered on the desk.

"What the hell kind of question is that?" he rasped.

A longer silence

Finally, Bauer smiled and hoisted the dewy can.

"Naaaah," he said

"The heat don't bother them, 'cause they drink this here good beer!"

And with that, the Manager of the Baltimore Orioles marched off, stark naked, to the shower.








I only hope you found this as entertaining as I did.

Until next time friends





No comments:

Post a Comment