Saturday, March 31, 2012

Cracker Jacks and Updates


I was recently going through the collection down in the cave when I came across some neat stuff that I hadn't looked at in a few years.  It started making me appreciate just how diverse my collection has become.

It all started with baseball cards, but eventually cards turned in to pictures and pictures turned in to bats and bats turned in to magazines, and so on and so on...  What I'm saying is that eventually I went from just collecting baseball cards to collecting basically anything that caught my eye. 

When I started my junior year of college Cracker Jack had come out with a line of baseball cards as their prize and I just had to collect the whole set.  It was ten cards in the set but I'm pretty sure I ended up buying at least 20 boxes of Cracker Jacks to get the whole set.  Here is that set below.


At the time I didn't think they'd be something I'd hang on to as a collectible and so I opened them up and removed the top cover pages because they were usually sticky from the carmel corn and had been perforated to be removed so that the cards would stand alone.  However, these little flaps had mini bios of each player and I now regret that.  This set is the Cracker Jack Ballpark Legends II and includes Johnny Bench, Harmon Killbrew, Fergie Jenkins, Rollie Fingers, Jim Palmer, Juan Marichal, Brooks Robinson, Ozzie Smith, Gaylord Perry, and Orlando Cepeda.  Note that this is called Ballpark Legends II... Once I collected it I had to find Ballpark Legends I.  It took me a while, but eventually I found a set that popped up on the electronic bay and it had the flaps in tact and I decided to not remove those.  Here they are below...


This set included some of the greatest old time players including Ty Cobb, Honus Wagner, Cy Young, Walter Johnson, Satchel Paige, George Sisler, "Shoeless" Joe Jackson, Roy Campanella, Lou Brock, and lastly Thurman Munson.

Cracker Jack didn't do a follow up set the next year so I happen to have a complete set of both Legends I and II.  Eventually I'll figure out a nice way to display them or who knows... maybe in 75 years they'll be worth a little something and some crazy person will offer me a boat load of money for them!

(I'll never sell... but maybe trade)

On a final note I also stopped by one of my old card shops and was able to pick up some of my missing short prints for the Lineage project for only a couple dollars.  I've already updated the list, but here is a pic of them below...


Well that's all for now

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Rollie Fingers... damn that mustache was sweet.

    ReplyDelete